Tuesday, January 01, 2008

2007's New Year's resolution

I really love to read but don't get to often. So for New Year's resolution 2007 I resolved to read a book a month for pleasure. I didn't quite get there but these are the books I did get to read for pleasure this year:

1) Until I Find You by John Irving - I'm tempted to count this as 2 books since it was SOOO long. While there was some interesting history on tatooing, I enjoyed this the least of the JI books I've read. For the record, I'm a HUGE JI fan but this was a rough book for me.

2) The Shop on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber - needed something a little lighter after the first book choice. It served its purpose.

3) Colony Girl by Thomas Rayfiel - parts were interesting and funny but it wrapped up too neatly.

4) Eleven Minutes by Paulo Coelho - interesting, insightful in places but not really my usual fare. I've heard others by PC are great so I'll probably give him another chance.

5) The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini - fantastic. This book has been made into a movie that I hope to see soon. The trailer can be viewed at http://www.kiterunnermovie.com/ (Enter the site, go to Media, official trailer)

6) The Widow's Club by Joyce Livingston - ugh. Did not like the book at all. I found the main character to be an awful, self righteous woman who claimed to be doing all these things as a good Christian.

7) The Glass Castle - by Jeannette Walls. Wow. If you think you are having a bad day, read this. Two of the most selfish parents in the world...I am impressed that the author survived and succeeded so well.

So I didn't do great on last year's resolution but it was a start. Can't think of many resolutions this year yet. I'm just glad we made it through the holidays. Did you make any resolutions? Happy New Years!

3 Comments:

Blogger cindyjane said...

I've just started reading Eat, Pray, Love, (featured on Oprah one day, which I just saw the tail end of). Anyway seems pretty interesting, although I've only read the intro.

5:48 PM

 
Blogger Angela O. said...

Somebody else recently told me they were reading that - maybe Jenn L or Lauren?? I can't remember whom. Let me know how it is.

9:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul Coelho I've read and the movie The Kite Runner has just come out here ... I was going to pop along and see it next week. I've been doing some reading too ... lots of murder mysteries. I like figuring out whodunnit.

4:11 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home