Thursday, December 06, 2007

Advent Class #2

Tonight at Advent Class we talked a lot about hospitality. There have been several times where people have been hospitable to me but one person's story reminded me of someone from long ago. When I was a freshmen in college, I went home (about 2 1/2 hours by car) one weekend. Before I left home to go back to school, my car was completely topped off so I left without any cash or credit cards and without eating lunch. Even after the rural roads and on the bigger highway, there are still a lot of rice fields in Arkansas and not much until you get to Searcy. I was quite a way from Searcy and too far to turn back home when I realized that I was having a hard time concentrating. I was starving and afraid I was going to pass out. So I exited the very next "town" and it was a very small town. I was just hoping and praying for a fast food place of some sort. This little town only had a tiny little grocery store that was actually just grand opening. So I stopped and went in, told the only guy behind the deli counter (he turned out to be the owner) that I had no cash and no credit cards but I did have a checkbook so if he would let me pay by check, I really needed something to eat. He asked me if I liked baloney and I replied "yes." He said "I'll fix you a baloney and cheese sandwich but you don't have to pay." It was a complete life saver and we chatted while I ate. I stopped by that store every time I went through that town for the next 2 years - even if I had friends with me - and bought something. He even moved up to a slightly larger store by the last time I went through. Sad but I can't even remember his name or the name of the little town...I think I have a photo somewhere. Maybe I'll pull it up and try to find out who he was. May you all have a hospitable weekend :-)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a nice story and his hospitality paid off big time ... he if obviously in the right business for him! Cool.

4:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home