Sunday, June 25, 2006

Pseudacris streckeri

So there's this chirping noise that has been going on at night in the SW corner of our yard and I've been wondering what it was. I couldn't figure out if it was a frog/toad or a bird. But it was almost as if this creature was talking to me anytime I went out. It's not annoying or bothersome but I have been obsessed with seeing it. Tonight it was driving me crazy so Danielle, Trey and I spent about an hour in the backyard with flashlights trying to find it. It seemed there were two of them--one close to the porch and one further out near the wood pile. We never found it. Trey thinks he's seen it before and it is a tiny little frog.

We googled texas chirping frogs and came across this website. I think it is this Pseudacris streckeri AKA Strecker's Chorus frog. http://www.zo.utexas.edu/research/txherps/frogs/pseudacris.streckeri.html
If you have encountered this tiny frog around Central Texas please let me know your experience--thanks.

The website listed above is neat. If you click on "back to species" button it takes you to the homepage. From there you can click on the frog calls and hear the sounds.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

That is cool. I think we just have the quiet frogs around here.

11:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home