Monday, June 12, 2006

Is it a flower? No, it's a squash.

A week or so ago Danielle and I were in Central Market produce when I let her pick out whatever vegetable or fruit she wanted. She immediately zoned in on this flower-shaped vegetable of some sort. It was near all the squashes but I still wasn't sure what it was. We bought it anyway and I've been wondering what in the world to do with it.

A few days later my coworker/friend, Lisa, was bragging about all the vegetables her father brought her from his and neighbor's farms. She brought a few to share with all of us and gave me the exact same vegetable. I couldn't believe it; I've never seen this thing before! I asked Lisa how to cook it and she told me how the "those Czech women that can cook anything" made them at her recent family reunion. How do you cook it? Well from one mostly-Czech-girl-married-to-a-German-last-name (Michulka to Linenberger) to another mostly-Czech-girl-married-to-a-German-last-name (Urban to Oberpriller) the way to cook a healthy, wholesome squash is to slice it up, soak it in beer batter and fry it up! Mmmm, Mmmm Yummy GREASE!!

So that's what I did tonight--courtesy of a recipe from the best cookbook ever, The Joy of Cooking (page 243), and a can of Foster's beer. Trey loved it as did I. (He's getting sick, though, and couldn't eat much dinner.) That was really the only thing I "made" as we also had crab/rice stuffed salmon from Super Target (they are really good) and frozen corn on the cob. Very easy dinner that the whole family ate. Next time I'll add a salad too; that will be just about right.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

That sounds delicious. When is your next dinner?

5:18 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home