Saturday, February 10, 2007

Because I said so

I saw the movie Because I Said So yesterday afternoon. I've seen qutie a bit of criticism of this movie and here is my opinion. It was a good movie but marketed incorrectly. It's a drama with a little comedy thrown in instead of a comedy with a little drama thrown in.

There are elements that I definitely disagree with -- an unmarried girl sleeping with 2 guys at the same time, a mother who treats her children as friends instead of children and a little boy being introduced to his dad's date on the first date -- and I think the reason people criticize this movie is more because those situations are uncomfortable rather than the actual movie production. It is acted well, you'll laugh, you'll cry, it tugs at your heart strings and it is a sad situation with the usual All-American Happy Ending. What leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth is that the movie is sad reality with a easy, happy ending and no consequences for the bad choices people make. If you go in with the thought that it is a movie--2 hours away from reality--then you can enjoy. But it is probably not a movie that I would watch again. And I definitely wouldn't watch with my child--until maybe adulthood when we could discuss as adults (but always as Parent and Child.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Good review. How about "The Last Sin Eater" next?

9:05 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home